Under the Animal Welfare Act 1992 the ACT Department of Education and Training is required to hold a licence for the use or breeding of animals for the purpose of research or teaching. The conditions of this licence mean the department is required to establish and maintain an Animal Ethics Committee to ensure the humane care of animals used for scientific purposes. The Animal Ethics Committee is required to keep a record of all animals used in educational programs in schools and provide a report to the Minister of Education.
Please note that Principals are required to complete the form whether or not a school keeps animals. Once this form is completed it will become a departmental record of the animals kept in your school (where applicable) for that year.
- Care and Use of Animals in ACT Schools Procedures (72.7Kb)
- Animals in ACT school Part A (442.7Kb)
- Animals in ACT school Part B (653Kb)
- Application Form A: Request to Keep Animals In Schools (23Kb)
- Application Form B: Application to Use A Vertebrate Animal for A Category 4 Or 5 Or Non-Standard Educational Activity (20Kb)
- Application Form C: Application for Certification to Demonstrate A Category 5 Activity (16Kb)
- Application Form D: Application for Approval to Obtain Euthanased Rats For Dissection (17Kb)
- Application Form E: Egg Hatching Activity (19Kb)
- Application Form F: Notification Of Changes to Staffing and/or Activities (17Kb)