The Directorate has recently undertaken a School Assistant Classification Review in accordance with Section T, Clause T21 of the ACT Public Service Administrative and Related Classifications Enterprise Agreement 2013-2017 (the Agreement).
School Assistant Classification Guide
The guide outlines the new School Assistant Classification Standards Framework and provides additional information, for principals/supervisors and school assistants, to support the management of school assistant positions in ACT public schools, including:
- the school assistant classification structure
- design of new school assistant positions; and
- development of School Assistant Position Descriptions.
School Assistant Classification Standards Framework
The School Assistant Classification Standards Framework consists of three key elements:
- School Assistant Work Level Standards;
- School Assistant Activity Descriptors; and
- School Assistant Standard Position Descriptions.
- School Assistant Work Level Standards (WLS)
Work level standards describe the distinctive features of school assistant work at each classification level.
- School Assistant Activity Descriptors
The School Assistant Activity Descriptors describe the major activities/duties appropriate at each of the school assistant classification levels.
- School Assistant 2 Activity Descriptors (56 kb)
- School Assistant 3 Activity Descriptors (56 kb)
- School Assistant 4 Activity Descriptors (56 kb)
A new position description template has been developed to replace the current duty statement and selection criteria format. This template includes all the necessary elements of a position description and additional information relevant to all school assistants. This template should be completed using the ‘Completing the position description template checklist’.
- Standard Position Descriptions
Standard positions descriptions have been developed for all standard school assistant position types (local designations).
- School Assistant 2
- SA2 – Administrative Assistant (161 kb)
- SA2 – Defence School Transition Aide (DSTA) (162 kb)
- SA2 – Defence School Transition Mentor (DSTM) (151 kb)
- SA2 – Food Technology Assistant (Home Science Assistant) (151 kb)
- SA2 – General Assistant (163 kb)
- SA2 – Library Assistant (162 kb)
- SA2 – Technology Assistant (Industrial Arts) (162 kb)
- School Assistant 2/3
- School Assistant 3
- SA3 – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Worker (162 kb)
- SA3 – Administrative Assistant (163 kb)
- SA3 – Bilingual Assistant (163 kb)
- SA3 – Hearing Support Assistant (162 kb)
- SA3 – Information Communication Technology (ICT) Assistant (162 kb)
- SA3 – Laboratory Assistant (162 kb)
- SA3 – Preschool Assistant (163 kb)
- SA3 – Preschool (Koori) Assistant (163 kb)
- SA3 – Staffing Assistant (162 kb)
- SA3 – Vision Assistant (163 kb)
- School Assistant 4
- School Assistant 2